Saturday, October 13, 2007

Luther Kirche

So I realize that you're all anxiously awaiting some sort of fascinating news. Sorry. However, I have to tell you that I absolutely love Berlin and I love internship. The trick will be getting me to leave next August. I can't tell you how much fun it is to be in a place where every day I'm working with people from all over the world, who have come here for various reasons. Plus, my German is getting significantly better. I can now actually start having conversations (albeit small and short ones) with the people at Laib und Seele (our food distribution program). This especially includes the many volunteers, most of whom don't speak English.

Beyond that, my life has been filled with preparing the occasional sermon; teaching 3-5 year-olds in Sunday School; leading a Saturday afternoon confirmation class; getting the young adult group started; staff, committee, and council meetings; visiting congregation members; and preparing for a youth trip to Paris at the end of this month. More than enough to keep me occupied. But of more immediate interest, today was clean-up day at the church. I got there a bit early and took some pictures. I thought you might like to see them. As a side note, the American Church in Berlin worships at this church. The church building is known as Luther Church in the Berlin community. The word "church" shows up more often than needed in this paragraph.

From the nearby U-Bahn station


Front of the church; the missing top of the right tower is because of bombing in WWII.

There are also alcoves on the right and left sides near the nave. This makes the sanctuary in a cross form.



Currently up in the church: truly a congregational project! For the retreat, I came up with the design, drew lines on these 64 sheets of paper, and color-coded them. Then the retreat-goers colored them (mainly the adults!), and the 9th grade confirmation class pinned them to this board.


The office building. We, along with the pastor's apartment, occupy the 4th floor.


I hope you've enjoyed the many pictures. If you're interested in others, let me know. I hope your lives are going well; let me know how you are! Guten Abend, meine Freundin.

3 comments:

doulos theou said...

Your new pictures are amazing!!! I am very happy for you. I want to join a missionary group in Tibet, but I don't think it's going to work out. There is already an offer on the table to do a 2 year concurrent internship in Faith Chinese Lutheran just down the hill from Bockman Hall starting in May. They share the same building with St. Anthony or St. Convenience. I will most likely end up doing that.

Randi said...

Nice pictures! It's fun to see where you're at, kind of! The sanctuary of that church reminds me of a catholic church, because it's so big! I don't know of any Lutheran churches like that around here.

Moira said...

Hey, I just stumbled upon this blog google-ing an old friend. Did you grow up in Colorado?